After all of the alleged outrage surrounding the mielle company, especially the oil, I feel like it is my duty as a formulator to teach y'all how to make this oil or something similar but just as effective.
People are obsessed with this oil because of its benefits and rightfully so.
Its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties are known to improve scalp health and strengthen hair. The oil in general contains ingredients that are known to stimulate hair growth ad strength.
- Helps maintain and improve length retention
- Nourishes hair follicles
- Conditions dry scalp
- Smooth split ends
- Prevent hair breakage
The oil can be used on all hair types and textures.
The main active ingredients in the oil are rosemary and peppermint. But first things first, you must gather all of your ingredients.
- Sterile glass jar (preferably a dark jar)
- Rosemary (dry herb)
- Peppermint (dry herb)
- Argan oil
- Almond oil
- Coconut oil
- Castor oil
- Cold pressed jojoba oil
- Lavender essential oil
- Eucalyptus oil
- Tea Tree oil
- Cedar wood essential oil
Pictured below are coconut oil, almond oil, argan oil,
cedarwood oil, and essential oils.
You can purchase a pack of essential oils, in order to use an oil substitute for rosemary, peppermint and other ingredients.
- Sterilize your jar by pouring in boiling water, then letting it air dry completely
- If you are using herbs instead of essential oils, always make sure that they are completely dry
- Fill your bowl with the herbs and cover completely with argan, jojoba oil, castor oil, almond oil, coconut oil. (If you do not have enough use a filler oil such as unrefined olive oil).
- Mix concoction, pour into a dark glass jar or microwave it for 40 seconds to expedite the process
- Seal container and set in a warm spot (preferably on your window pane) for two weeks, shake often to release essential oils
- or you can microwave it in a microwaveable bowl for 30 secs every once in awhile.
- Strain out the herbs and reserve your oil to use in hair treatments (you can leave the herbs for more potency but that leave you off with less oil)
- Keep for about six months
How to Use:
- Massage a teaspoon of oil onto your scalp and down to your ends.
- Use the oil as a frizz-treatment on dry hair, just a tiny, tiny drop will do
- Split hair into sections and apply oil daily
- Apply oil to split ends, place plastic cap on hair and leave on for about 10 minutes, rinse and begin regular washing routine.
Most of the ingredients can be purchased on amazon. I took the time to list some affordable options on amazon:
Cedarwood Essential Oil
Dry Rosemary Herbs
( you can get this at your local grocery store)
Unrefined jojoba Oil
Essential Oil Set
*some links are affiliate links & I may get a small portion of the sale - these are the products I used, if you use the link - Thank you!